Sunday, January 22, 2012

There is freedom in simplicity...

I recently told my husband that by the time I am finished with my "simplify my life" plan, I hope to only have as many belongings as would fit into a trailer. I have no intentions at this point to live in a trailer, but this gives some direction as to how much I would like to slim down my "things".

One area that was very difficult for me to simplify was my children's clothing--- specifically my first born daughter's, for some reason. Every time I would open one of the many plastic bins that houses her last 4 years worth of clothing I become emotional... I would remember everything about what she was doing, the things she was learning, etc. when she wore each outfit.

It hit me tonight that it does not matter if I still have the clothing from her early years, I will always have the memories. I also realized that she is going to continue to grow and continue to accumulate clothing... and her clothing is going to get bigger and more difficult to store :)

So, tonight I began the tedious job of going through hundreds of outfits... parting with many...and keeping some for now! Baby steps, people!!

It was amazing how it felt to begin consigning her clothing to other people who could create there own memories with their children. The clothes were doing me no good in plastic bins! It is amazing how freeing it feels to be decreasing the amount of "things" I have to store.

P.S. All proceeds from the sale of Camille's clothing will be going towards her room overhaul... another post for another day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment