Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Staying at home.

I spent six years of my life preparing for my career as a family therapist. My husband and I had been very deliberate in making sure that we had finished our education before starting a family. I loved what I did and always assumed that after having children, I would enroll my children in daycare, and return to my job.

But within hours of my first child being born, the wave of emotions hit me like a brick wall. I realized I didn't want to ever leave her...I would cry for hours when I thought about taking her to daycare, but was torn between two worlds. I loved my job, I enjoyed the extra income, and I felt a lot of worth from what I was doing. Truthfully, a part of me felt obligated to continue in this career since we had monthly bills coming in to pay off large student loans... all because I wanted to get my graduate degree from Temple University. But my heart was left at the daycare each morning I dropped my precious one in the doors and scurried off to spend my day with other people's families.

Fast forward three and a half years.... now my baby is almost four and her little brother is two, and I feel lucky to be home with them! But, I find myself constantly rushing them out the door to go to this play date, that errand, this church event, or that mom's group. I have been wondering lately, why do they call me a stay-at-home mom?

I read this post on the blog PASSIONATE HOMEMAKING and was so inspired. Essentially it is all about enjoying the simplicity of being at home. It has been a reminder to me that my priorities throughout the day should be investing quality time with and instilling lasting values in my children, ensuring that my husband has clean clothes for work and a welcoming home to relax in, preparing nutritious meals for my family, and taking time to spend with the Lord in thankfulness for all my many blessings.

This will mean making deliberate, intentional choices in what I choose to put on my calendar. Just another step on my journey to leading a purpose driven life...

-Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment